We’ve all been barraged with political parties, news pundits and marketers arguing over the answers recently, right? The answers to the “fiscal cliff” – the answers to our collective bottom lines.
But we’re also all pretty aware, right now, that something is missing from this conversation – something feels “off” – or “wrong” -
- and I’m going to hesitate a guess as to why you are feeling that something is “off”-
I think it’s because, deep down in your gut, in your heart of hearts, some deep well of intuitive wisdom – which is smarter, more accurate, more brilliant and more efficiently discerning for you than ANYTHING your brain or extrinsic information can EVER provide you with – is telling you that all the stuff we are collectively fighting with is, somehow, NO LONGER IMPORTANT.
After all, we all know that the things that make our lives meaningful are very very difficult to measure. YES – money is needed to provide you with comfort and security – but beyond that? You’re looking for meaning. You’re looking for purpose. You’re looking for that magic that gives you complete satisfaction in the knowing that you have shown up for this amazing dance called life for a damn good reason.
How do we begin to have a conversation about THAT? How do we rewire our brains to begin even LOOKING at what that intangible measure of meaningful existence can even be seen as? And without doing that long, hard look into the very core of our reason for existence, how can we ever hope to chart a course to get us ‘there’, to that point in our evolution as individuals and as societies?
These are not only questions that are good to ask yourself – they are questions that you need to grapple with as an entrepreneur in the most earnest way that you can. WHY?? Because, I wholeheartedly believe, doing business in the 21st century no longer revolves around providing customers with objects. We no longer live in the world of atoms exclusively, as Chris Anderson points out in Free – we live in the world of BITS – bits of information where our prospects are evolving. They aren’t looking for STUFF anymore, in other words. They – like us – are evolving. They – like us – seek MEANING. To truly embrace the full knowledge of ONENESS in life is also to recognize that you ARE your ideal customer – they are your mirror. They are seeking what you are seeking.
Here is a collection of videos for you that have been some of the most inspiring presentations to me as I ponder these questions – videos that have helped me begin to ask the RIGHT questions. Enjoy.
FIRST UP: this vid is Chip Conley talking about Maslow, the King of Bhutan and how they have helped him begin to measure something other than the economic profit of his company as the true measure of its success. If you’ve been waiting for a CEO to DISAGREE with Einstein, check this out.
- NOW here’s a 7 minute talk that was cool for me to watch because it so clearly reaffirms that humans are amazing, creative, hopeful, inspiring creatures. I love the bit in the middle where he talks about heroism -
- the more I thought about re-engineering my thinking life to become a quest for the right questions rather than the right answers – and the more it became obvious that I wanted to find a metric to measure that showed how engaged and happy my customers, friends, community, family and myself could be with life, it started to occur to me that MOST of us need to re-learn how to engage WITH EACH OTHER!
This fundamental skill was a huge loss in our communities – we have, somehow, become narcissistic. We have been told to focus on where we are eating more than how we live together – Our social media has given us megaphones – and here we are seeing who can shout louder. It’s no way to build community – or belonging.
Then I found this next talk – Marc Pachter talking about the Art of the Interview – and something clicked. You see, I believe that we need to shine a light on each other – to show one another that someone is listening – that someone cares – that someone can empathize. In listening to this great interviewer talk, more than a few lightbulbs about how we should be trating each other in this time of evolving purpose- in this time where we are each feeling a compulsion to live in a deeply meaningful way – went on. For here was a man who had spent a great deal of his life helping people articulate and talk about that which was, after all, most meaningful to them when they looked back on their lives. In this talk, at one point he says
” Everybody in their lives is really waiting for people to ask them questions, so that they can be truthful about who they are and how they became what they are.”
- and I hope, if you take the time to listen to this last, very special talk in my post, that it will inspire in you something about the nature of our truth – and our becoming our heroic, natural, purposeful, satisfying selves – that allows you to see how it includes EVERYONE ELSE, too – whether you take this message to heart for how to relate to those closest to you, your readers, your customers, your children or your parents – pay attention. There is something here for you which will uncover a true treasure in how you relate to the world around you.
– thanks for reading and watching, everyone. You’re awesome.